The Certificate II course fee is AUD1950 and it does not include the tools and disposables required for practice sessions. Products from Gorgeous Cosmetics and Ben Nye are provided for use in class, but students have to have their own kit for work experience.
The course involves 19 six-hour sessions over 9-10 weeks. They offer a business-hours class and an after-hours class. I attended the after-hours class which ran 6:30pm-9:30pm on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and 10am-4pm on Sundays. Tuesdays and Sunday morning sessions are devoted to discussion of the class notes and a demo by the instructor while Wednesdays and Sunday afternoons are devoted to practical work and clean up at the end of the class. For practical work, each student is given about 1.15 hours to practice on another student, then the artist/model roles are switched. Models are only required for oriental and mature age sessions. Note that we only started practical work on session 3.
Here are the topics for each session:
- Introduction, safety, housekeeping, communication & effective working; Overview of assessments, product and brush knowledge, skin types
- Colour theory, business project, industry knowledge project; Concealer, foundation & powder
- Facial structure, shading & highlighting, blush
- Recap of foundation, powder and contouring; Lip techniques
- Corrective eye techniques
- Colour wash eye, shadow eyeliner & mascara
- Socket eye, liquid eyeliner & individual lashes
- Glamour eye & bar lashes
- Smokey eye, pencil eyeliner & bar lashes
- Oriental eye techniques (model required for practice)
- Mature age (model required for practice)
- Colour photography
- Black & white photography
- Bridal makeup
- Fashion makeup
- Conduct financial transactions, merchandise & sell products; Practice for assessments
- Mature & Remedial Camouflage Assessment; Photographic Assessment
- Practice or catch up; Bridal Assessment
- Fashion Assessment; Catch up and conclusion
- Business Project - A written proposal for a makeup business.
- Industry Knowledge Project - A research paper on beauty trends and industry health & safety standards.
- Merchandising Project - Answer a questionnaire by visiting a beauty store.
- Role-play on merchandising & selling - Act as a sales assistant while another students acts as customer.
- Work experience - 9 hours of work experience signed by models/clients.
- Housekeeping sheet - Each student must supervise after class clean up at least once.
What did I think of the course itself? I'll save that for another rambling post. Let me know if you have any specific question about the course, and I'll try to answer as best as I can.
In the meantime. Check out these links for honest advice from working makeup artists about becoming a makeup artist: