Fabric: Off-white cotton voile with a printed gold metallic sheen (from Spotlight)
Date first worn: 18 February 2011
Wear again? Yes.
Sew again? Yes, already cut the fabric for the next one.
Sizing and alterations: I cut the size 2 at the neck, shoulder, armhole and hips, then size 4 at the bust and waist. I shortened it by about 4 inches.
Fabric prep: I've pre-washed some of my fabric stash after acquiring them, but a lot haven't been pre-washed. I think this was pre-washed. But if it hasn't been, I wouldn't mind a little shrinkage as this top is quite loose.
Cutting: I was so excited to sew this up that I forgot to check out the cutting layout in the instructions. I was a bit miffed that while I was so careful with keeping all pieces on-grain (measuring from the selvedge or fold to the grainline instead of eyeballing it like I used to), I was not very careful with cutting the fabric that I ended up with some jagged edges.
Marking: Although I carefully marked my pieces especially the pleats on the sleeves, they still didn't line up when I folded the sleeves. But then even the folded paper didn't line up.
Instructions: I barely looked at the printed instructions as the sew-along posts and comments were a great resource. They're not only helpful for this project but for other future projects, too.
Sewing: I tried to stick to the sew-along steps so I'd enjoy the process and not make so many mistakes, but I was enjoying it so much that I finished the last two steps last Thursday night so I can wear it to work the following day. It was fairly easy to sew, but I was worried about how it will fit. Following the instructions to the letter meant I wouldn't have known how the top fit until the last step, so there were some steps when I went off on my own and basted the seams to test the fit. It feels a bit loose at the bust but not so bad that I would change it.
I also had an issue with the largeness and pouffiness of the sleeves (the double voile layer made it too stiff.) After taking a break and working on the quilt for a bit, I decided to undo the sleeves and trim it down to size 0. It still looks a bit poufy for me, but I'm hoping a few washes and fabric softener will make it more drapey.
The use of bias binding is brilliant. Much easier and better finish than the usual bias binding.
Lastly, I finished the seams with my new-to-me Janome overlocker. It's great! I'll review it soon.
Conclusion: Despite all the glitches, I love sewing and wearing this top and will be making more of this soon!
Notes for future sewing:
- Test fabric drape.
- Figure out a better way of cutting fabric.
- New way of bias binding armholes and neckline.
- Cut only one layer of fabric for the neck binding.