Burda 8123 dress is going to be a work staple. It's very comfortable since I used a fabric that has a bit of stretch. I hope this doesn't wrinkle too much in the wash, that it'll be one of those dresses that I just pull out of the closet when I'm rushing in the morning.
Due to my supreme laziness, I still did not perform proper tissue-fitting adjustments on this dress, even after the too tight dress last week.
Back in 2008, I made a muslin for this in muslin fabric, but never made it to actually creating a final garment. I dodn't even finish making the muslin. Hated making it. Plus it bore no resemblance to any fabric I might use.
Flash forward to 2010, I'm sitting in front of the TV mesmerized by costumes in Young Victoria and An Education, I have barely toyed with the idea of pattern fitting, when I just decided to use the old pattern (size 6 for the top part and 8 for the skirt) and cut into my fabric. What have I got to lose with a $4 remnant fabric? :)
But to be on the safe side, I cut an extra 1.5 inches on each side around the hip area. I just realize that's an extra 6 inches and in end I must have narrowed it by that much. Grrr. Time wasted again on basting, fitting, cutting, re-basting and re-fitting. Grrr.
But I loved how it turned out. It's very classic and simple, with a twist at the back with the exposed red metal zipper. Admittedly, I picked this closure, because an exposed zip seemed much easier to sew than anything else, and I had a huge stash of metal zippers (bad ebay moment).
I should have shortened the zip a bit and I still need to replace the ugly zipper holder thingie (cannot be bothered to look up the proper term) with something cute.
I'm excited about the possiblities with this dress. I believe a peter pan collar is in order.
Finishing this also gave me enough of a boost to tackle the too tight dress (I'm wearing it now and I'll be posting baout it next.)